Saturday, November 27, 2004

I just read an awesome interview with Neal Stephenson on slashdot. I love this man. I enjoyed his "who would win in a fight between you and William Gibson response. I particularly liked the second question on "The lack of respect for popular fiction." (edited out massive quote, follow the link if interested) It provides an interesting look into the social world of published authors.

I'm currently reading Stephenson's final book in the "Baroque Cycle," "The System of the World." The series follows some of the many innovative thinkers during the late 17th and early 18th centuries. I think of it as historical fiction, but Stephenson prefers to call it alternate history. This is probably more appropriate because he does take many liberties with history while posing some interesting "what if's." The three main charecters are "Daniel Waterhouse," (his connections provide a look into the scientific and philosophic world) "Eliza of Qwghlm (a fictional island off the coast of ireland)," (she provides a look into the royalty and the business practices of the upper class) and "Jack Shaftoe," (a criminal mastermind/lucky moron who provides the excitement and action of the novel, while eventually becoming emproiled in monetary theory). The charecters in this series have the last name of charecters in his previous book "Cryptonomicon." I suppose they are meant to be ancestors. He basically implies the same in interviews I've read.

If you haven't read his "Cryptonomicon" yet, I suggest you do. It's entertaining and informative. He poses some really cool ideas regarding currency and the electronic world.

As well, if you enjoy cyberpunk I suggest you pick up "Snow Crash" and "The Diamond Age: A Young Ladies Illustrated Primer." I would say that "Diamond Age" is better, but I know others disagree with me.