Sunday, October 23, 2005

Musical Brandon

It has been a while since I've discussed music here, and since I am always listening to something when I'm home (and sometimes when I'm out), it seems an appropriate topic.

I've been listening to the "Best Best of Fela Kuti" quite a bit lately. I'm sort of ashamed that I haven't discovered this apparently legendary musician sooner. This stuff is great. Nice jazzy instrumentals with pretty repetitive vocals that add to the rhythm and melody.

I've also been thoroughly enjoying the "Stubbs the Zombie" soundtrack. It's a mixture of 50's and 60's bubblegum pop songs covered by an assortment of Indie and alternative bands. It's really fun, particularly if you are like me and love covers.

I'm also enjoying the new Atmosphere album. It's a huge improvement over his "7even's Travels". The backing music is great, and the lyrics are very enjoyable.

During a semi-recent Atmosphere show I attended I got to see two other MC's (opening) who I am also currently listening to heavily. Blueprint and RJD2's collaboration "8 Million Stories" as "Soul Position" is outstanding. Fun and clever lyrics and beautiful instrumentals make for a near perfect album. And POS's album "Ipecac Neat" has some more entertaining Hip Hop. A few song's lyrics fall flat, but for the most part, the CD is very entertaining.

Wolf Parade's debut album "Apologies to Queen Mary" is amazing. The vocals remind me of early Modest Mouse. This is backed by complex keyboard dominated instrumentals. I hope to hear more from these guys in the future.

Danger Doom's (Danger Mouse and MF Doom) "The Mouse and the Mask;" Adult Swim themed album is also very good. Surprisingly, the theme doesn't grow old and the dialogue between songs has yet to grow old. I'd say that Meatwad's cover of MF Doom's "MMM Food" is downright adorable.

-Brandon