Sunday, October 23, 2005

Brandon is a Nerd

Now that my money flow is more stable. I've been using some of my spare cash from tip sharing to keep up on some comic series. Most recently, Brian Michael Bendis has single handedly dragged my attention back to the Marvel Universe. This is something that hasn't happened since Middle School. Alias was so well done, I had to continue with Pulse, and when I learned he was also writing Ultimate Spiderman (My childhood favorite Superhero) I knew I had to pick that up too. I soon learned he'd written a little Ultimate XMen as well. From there, I've become immersed in the ultimate universe. I'm working on catching up with the Ultimates (I've read the first 13 and am already in love with it). Because the Ultimate universe is more directed towards older audiences (About time Marvel!), the author's personal politics tend to shine through to their series a bit more. Nick Fury is made into a respectable figure of sorts, and the author seems to advocate the policing of global affairs through whatever force is necessary. The contradictory nature of Professor Xaviar's pacifism through violent enforcement is focused upon heavily in XMen. Professor X's character is far less saintly then he's appeared in the past. It's a very nice touch.

Outside of Marvel, I've also discovered Powers, after my dive into Marvel's ultimate universe. This is another Brian Michael Bendis series and it makes his work in the Marvel universe look pathetic. Powers is a great story with simple cartoony artwork that I absolutely love. The series frequently uses very original and clever layouts (something I've found myself noticing more and more the past couple years). This is definitely work to aspire to.

I'm also hooked on Robert Kirkman's "Walking Dead." I love zombie horror when it's done right. The first two Romero movies are perfect. A great zombie film should focus on the psychological and social status of the survivors, not the mindless masses outside. Kirkman does this wonderfully. He uses a fairly predictable formula of terrible disaster followed by wonderful miracle which eventually leads to the next terrible disaster. It works well to keep the characters psychologically damaged enough to change, but hopeful enough to carry on. His main character is undergoing some interesting changes in ethics as he becomes more and more responsible for the group of survivors. My only complaint about Kirkman's writing is that he relies far too much and totally improbable occurrences but it is unimportant enough to not detract from the story.

Bill Willingham's "Fables" is another great series. It's the story of a bunch of characters out of European folklore who have fled their homeland and set up a small community in New York. Don't let the fairy tale characters put you off. This is not a series for kids. It's very dark and deals commonly with violence, sex, and various other taboo subject matters. The story is usually unpredictable, and even when you can see it coming, the process of getting there is entertaining enough to make it not matter. My biggest complaint is the issues are just too damn short.

Warren Ellis's "Desolation Jones" has only had three issues so far. Releases are slow and issues are short, which is very VERY frustrating because this series is so well done. Warren Ellis has a sick sense of humor that has yet to get old. Transmetropolitan was great, and "Global Frequency" makes for fun and short adventure Sci. Fi. His newest series, "Fell", is creepy, surreal, and hilarious, plus each issue is designed to stand alone. The first issue should still be on the shelves. I am quickly coming to believe that whatever this guy touches is gold.

-Brandon