Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Music

I cannot get enough of Rhymefest's song "Build me Up." There is something incredibly charming about Ol' Dirty Bastard singing "Build me Up Buttercup."

Still listening to Os Mutantes self titled album religiously.

I've also been re-getting into Madlib's "Shade of Blue." His remixes and remakes of classic Blue Note Record jazz recordings is so amazingly good. He released a newish beats album called "Beat Konducta" which I suppose is meant as a follow up to his 7 inch "The Beat Conductor." What a clever man.

Psapp has a new album out that is pretty similiar, and just as enjoyable as their first one. If you like mellow singing to chaotic yet relaxing electronic istrumentals, pick up "The only thing I ever Wanted."

I've gained some newfound appreciation of the newish Yeah Yeah Yeahs album, "Show Your Bones." At first I only really loved the Diplo remix of Gold Lion, but the rest is growing on my. It's good rock that's channeling a little early 90's pre-grunge and a little 80's new wave, just like their first album.

Spank Rock is amazing. His album YoYoYoYoYo is by no means lyrically brilliant. In fact, it's borderline sexist, incredibly dirty, and incredibly immature. It is also very well produced and very catchy. I don't even know if I can totally call this hip-hop. The beats are far from typical hip-hop stylings. This is club music with an MC.

J+J+J is an incredibly wierd band who sing juvenile songs about "people who wear headphones at work," and "staring at people's unborn children with a stolen ultrasound" to a techno beat. Very wierd, also incredibly entertaining. If you get the chance listen to "They Hump While We Go Nuts."

I've also been listening to a lot of Little Richard lately. His songs are pretty similiar to each other but they are still very fun to listen to. I'm pretty sure he doesn't know how to write about anything other then his sex life. And he doesn't seem to be able to write about that without adding in his own nonsensical words and phrases.

-Brandon